Quinoa and Browned Onion Salad with Apples
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- ¼ cup pecan pieces
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup finely chopped Granny Smith apple
- ¼ cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar or sugar substitute
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- Bring water to boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Add quinoa and return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered tightly, for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Drain in fine-mesh sieve and run under cold water to cook quickly, shaking off excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add nuts and cook 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in skillet, tilting to coat bottom lightly. Add onions and cook 8 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside on dinner plate in thin layer to cool quickly, about 4 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in medium bowl. Add quinoa, onions and nuts, tossing gently, yet thoroughly, until well blended. Makes 4 servings.