Quinoa Pancakes with Tomato Chutney
For tomato chutney
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 green chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk pancake mix
- 1 cup red quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1¼ cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- To make chutney: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and cook a few seconds until seeds stop popping. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook 1-2 minutes until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, green chili, coriander and salt. Cook 3 minutes until tomatoes are soft. Stir in sugar. Cool about 10 minutes.
- Add chutney to blender. Blend slightly until coarse texture. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.
- To make pancakes, combine pancake mix and quinoa in medium bowl. Mix in egg and milk. Fold in spinach. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Heat medium skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat. Pour ¼ cup batter onto heated skillet. Turn pancakes when top is bubbled and the bottom is light brown. Cook another 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve warm with Tomato Chutney.
Makes 5 servings.