Sautéed Tofu with Marinara Sauce
- ¼ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup homemade marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in a pie plate. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 tofu steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with garlic powder and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook. Stir occasionally for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the tofu steaks and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over to brown the other side; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the tofu. Pour marinara over the mushrooms. Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the top. Cover and cook until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Makes 4 servings.