Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (16-ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle or can of beer or 12 ounces no-salt-added chicken broth
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 package low-sodium taco seasoning
- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts or 3 cans chicken breast chunks
Toppers (all optional)
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips, crushed slightly
- Place onions, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer or broth and diced tomatoes in slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and stir to blend. Lay chicken breast on top of mixture, pressing down slightly until covered by the other ingredients. Set the slow cooker on LOW heat. Cook for 5 hours. Note: If using canned chicken, do not add at this time.
- Remove chicken breasts from soup. Cool slightly. Shred the chicken and add back to the soup. Cook an additional 2 hours. This is the time to add the drained canned chicken.
- Serve soup in bowls topped with favorites if desired: shredded cheese, sour cream and or crushed tortilla chips.