Spicy Black Bean Soup
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 5 medium green onions, chopped
- 1 slice turkey bacon, cut into ½ -inch pieces
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- In saucepan heat oil over medium-low heat. Cook green onions and turkey bacon for 4 minutes or until onions are soft and bacon is beginning to brown. Stir in garlic. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Increase heat to medium high. Stir in black beans, tomatoes with liquid, cumin, vinegar and cayenne. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour soup into blender and process until slightly chunky. (Can also remove from heat and use an immersion blender.) Return soup to pan. Heat over medium heat for 2 minutes or until simmering.
- Ladle into bowls. Spoon yogurt onto each serving. Makes 2 servings.