Spicy Black-Eyed Peas and Rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup minced onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups frozen black-eyed peas
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 and 1/3 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until light golden color, stirring often. Add garlic; cook 15 seconds.
- Add water, black-eyed peas, tomatoes and pepper to onion mixture. Stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer; cover and cook 18-20 minutes or until tender.
- Use slotted spoon to remove black-eyed peas. Reduce liquid by cooking on high for 2-3 minutes. Add reduced liquid to black-eyed peas and stir. Serve peas over cooked brown rice. Makes 6 servings.