Spring Vegetable Egg Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 pound asparagus, cut on the diagonal into bite-sized pieces
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, halved
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 12 large eggs, whisked
- ½ cup 2% evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes, or until it is soft and translucent.
- Add the remaining oil, then the carrots, asparagus, snap peas, broccoli and garlic, and stir to combine. Continue cooking for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened and cooked through. Add the mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer about half of the veggie mixture to the prepared baking dish, and spread the veggies out in an even layer. Sprinkle evenly with half of the feta cheese. Repeat by adding the remaining veggies on top in an even layer, followed by the rest of the cheese.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, pesto and a generous pinch of pepper together until combined. Then evenly pour the egg mixture over the veggies.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the casserole comes out clean. Serve immediately. Makes 10-12 servings.
Note: this casserole can be made the night before. Cover and refrigerate. Then remove the cover, let the casserole rest out at room temperature while the oven is heating up, then bake as directed.
Optional: Add other favorite spring vegetables to this recipe.