Whole-Grain French Toast
- ½ cup egg substitutes or 2 eggs
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 8 slices 100% whole-grain bread
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- In pie plate, whisk together egg substitute, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat to medium heat. Quickly dip each bread slice in the milk mixture to lightly coat both sides. Let excess mixture drip back into plate. Cook 2 slices at a time in skillet until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer French toast to cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining bread and milk mixture. Place cookie sheet with French toast in hot oven and bake 5-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Heat syrup in small saucepan. Stir in blueberries. Serve with blueberry syrup drizzled over each serving.
Note: sugar-free syrup can be substituted.