Sentara Home Care Services was the first agency in the region to introduce telemedicine into the home. The telehealth program equips patients with self-monitoring equipment to measure blood pressure, pulse, weight and blood glucose. Our telehealth program allows home care nurses located miles away to monitor patients' vital signs while they are in their homes. These frequent checkups have contributed to a decrease in emergency room visits and hospital readmissions.
The telehealth program monitors patients with a variety of medical needs and diseases, including asthma, congestive heart failure and high-risk pregnancy. The small Philips telemonitor, used by Sentara Home Care Services, gives patients the ability to easily perform important measurements daily and/or as often as they want.
Patients enrolled in the telehealth program can also answer clinically reviewed questions specific to their condition with a touch-screen monitor. Within minutes, they electronically transmit this information to a home care nurse – all from the comfort of their home. Through a combination of in-home visits and telehealth encounters, Sentara home care nurses are able to identify worsening conditions early and notify physicians in time to avert hospital or emergency room admissions.
For more information, call 800-HOMECARE.
Sentara Lifeline Personal Emergency Response System
Sentara Home Care Services offers an affordable, 24-hour-a-day personal response system called Sentara Lifeline that ensures personal security and peace of mind for those who wish to maintain a satisfying, independent lifestyle by continuing to live in the familiar surroundings of their own homes.
Philips Lifeline puts the user in touch instantly with caring people who are specially trained to respond and assist any time of day in any way needed.
Philips Lifeline features include:
- Compact, portable personal transmitter that is waterproof and can be worn on a soft neck cord or on the wrist.
- Two-way voice communication between the user and response center operator.
- Automatic, 30-hour backup battery in the event of power loss.
- Medication and personal reminder system storing up to six reminder messages that are monitored by the response center.
- Testing of the unit each day by Philips Lifeline Control Center.
- Wellness check-in capability that alerts the response center if the patient misses a preset check-in time.