Education and Support
To create the best outcome after joint replacement surgery, the Sentara Martha Jefferson Joint Replacement Center combines support from a dedicated orthopedic team staff, the patient's family and other patients recovering from similar surgeries.
Team members at the Sentara Martha Jefferson Joint Replacement Center have been hand-picked for their positive attitudes, motivational skills and desire to provide outstanding service. The staff has been specially trained to provide comprehensive clinical care and proven quality protocols for patients undergoing joint replacement surgery.
- Patients are introduced to the orthopedic patient navigator who serves as their personal guide while planning for, undergoing and recovering from joint replacement surgery. Navigators offer patient education and are available to answer questions before or after surgery, helping patients feel better prepared before surgery and comfortable returning home after surgery.
- Family members are encouraged to participate in group activities, meals and other events as the patient recovers.
- Exercise and therapy are provided in a group setting so that patients can support and encourage each other throughout recovery following joint replacement surgery. Often, new friendships are made, which enhance the patient's experience.
Patients will receive:
- An informative pre-operative joint replacement workshop for patients and family.
- Presentations to help explain the specific joint replacement surgery.
- A comprehensive guidebook for joint replacement surgery.
- An educational newsletter that includes your daily schedule while a patient in the hospital.
- Special training for your "care partner" – a family member or friend you choose to help with your recovery.
Sentara Martha Jefferson Joint Replacement Center offers frequent seminars on the most common causes and the latest treatment options for knee and hip pain.
The time before and after your surgery can be just as critical to regaining your mobility as the surgery itself. It is important to us that you are well informed about the surgery and care you will receive at Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital.
We offer educational seminars to help you determine if surgery is the right option for you; a Joint Camp to help you prepare yourself, your care partner and your home for the surgery and post-op care you will need; as well as pain management and rehabilitation services to get you back to the activities you love as quickly and as safely as possible.
Watch a video on what to expect during your stay at a Sentara OrthoJoint Center®.