There are many things to consider when having a baby, and we are here to help provide you with all of the necessary resources, information and guidance you need. Please see the links below to find information during each phase of your pregnancy and birth.
- Find a primary care provider or obstetrician.
- Research maternity centers. Register and take a tour of our Family
Birthing Center and read why thousands of new moms choose us every year.
- Learn about how to maintain a healthy pregnancy.
- Register for one of our childbirth class offerings.
- Talk to your spouse or significant other about breastfeeding, bottle-feeding, circumcision and birth control.
- Find a pediatrician or healthcare provider for your baby.
- Pack your hospital bag (see our guidelines).
- Get an NHTSA-approved car seat and practice installing it and taking it out of your car. Know how to use it! Schedule a child safety seat appointment with Albemarle County Fire Rescue.
Your hospital stay
After baby arrives
- Learn about after-care support and services. Three days after your discharge one of our OB Case Managers will follow up with mother and baby to answer any questions you may have.
- Sentara Martha Jefferson offers a free “Welcome to Motherhood” support group held on the first and third Thursday of the month at 10:30 a.m. No registration is necessary. We also offer a closed group Facebook page for new mothers.
- Stock up on supplies at our baby boutique.