We treat a wide range of kidney conditions that result from problems with the blood vessels, including:
- Renal artery stenosis, narrowing of the arteries that feed the kidneys
- Renal vein thrombosis, a blood clot blocking a kidney vein
- Fibromuscular dysplasia, a congenital (present at birth) defect of the renal artery that limits blood flow to the kidney
Minimally Invasive Kidney Disease Treatment
The physicians at Sentara have a history of adopting innovative techniques and state-of-the-art technology to deliver the most advanced, proven treatments available. We provide the full range of open and minimally invasive approaches to treating kidney disease, and we are a leader in offering minimally invasive alternatives to open surgical procedures. Compared to open surgery, advantages of minimally invasive procedures include:
- Smaller incisions to gain access to the kidneys
- Less discomfort
- Reduced risk of infection
- Quicker healing time
Although we will recommend the right procedure even if it means open surgery, we prefer to use a minimally invasive approach so we can get you back to your life as quickly as possible.
Kidney Disease Treatment: Services We Provide
Treatments we offer for kidney conditions include:
- Angioplasty and renal stenting
- Renal bypass
- Renal endarterectomy
Kidney Failure Services
For patients whose kidneys are severely diseased, we offer dialysis access services as well as kidney transplant services.
Dialysis access: How it works
When your kidneys are unable to filter your blood effectively, hemodialysis (dialysis) may be necessary. In dialysis, a machine called a dialyzer performs the function of your kidneys by filtering your blood. In dialysis access, a doctor creates an easy-to-access entry site into your bloodstream.
We place the access device under the skin in your arm, leg or chest to enable quick, safe and easy flow of blood to and from your body during dialysis. During dialysis:
- Blood moves through a tube from your body to the dialyzer.
- The dialyzer removes waste and excess minerals, such as salt and potassium, from your blood and helps to control your blood pressure.
- The dialyzer filters your blood and then it returns to your body through another tube.
Dialysis access services at Sentara
At Sentara, we offer the full range of dialysis access and dialysis access management, including:
In addition, we are one of the few centers in the region offering the HeRO Vascular Access Device. We may use the HeRO device as long-term vascular access for patients who have no other options for dialysis access.