Lou Patalano joined Sentara Healthcare in December 2019 as Corporate Vice President, Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary. Lou is responsible for all legal affairs across Sentara Healthcare and Optima Health. In his position, Lou will work with team members across the entire Sentara organization including its hospitals, Sentara Medical Group and Optima Health to provide strategic legal counsel, prepare contracts and assist business units with operating under the many rules and laws which regulate payors and providers.
Before joining Sentara Healthcare, Lou served as vice president and deputy general counsel of Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina where he led the day-to-day operations of its legal department. He also served as the general counsel and senior vice president of Cape Fear Valley Health System in North Carolina where he was responsible for all legal matters for the health system. In all, he has provided legal services to the healthcare industry for 19 years, first as a healthcare fraud prosecutor for the State of North Carolina and as a Special Assistant United States Attorney, and then as associate counsel and director of the special investigations unit at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Current Professional Affiliations
- North Carolina State Bar – Member
- United States Supreme Court Bar – Member
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit Bar – Member
- American Bar Association Health Law Section – Member
- American Health Lawyers Association – Member
- North Carolina Bar Association Health Law Section – Member
- North Carolina Society of Healthcare Attorneys – Member
- University of Maryland School of Law – JD, Health Care Law Certificate
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – BA, English and Political Science