Dr. Chris Winter has practiced sleep medicine and neurology in Charlottesville, Va. since 2004, but has been involved with sleep medicine and sleep research since 1993. As the owner of Charlottesville Neurology and Sleep Medicine, CNSM Consulting and the medical director of the Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital Sleep Medicine Center, Dr. Winter is not only an active participant in patient care, but a dynamic speaker and researcher on the science of sleep.
Dr. Winter’s current research focuses on sleep and athletic performance. He has served as a consultant for several baseball teams including the San Francisco Giants, Tampa Bay Rays, Cleveland Indians and the Pittsburgh Pirates.
In addition to MLB teams, he has worked with the Chicago Bulls and is currently the sleep medicine specialist for NBA teams including the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Washington Wizards.
Within the NHL, he has consulted with the Washington Capitals and currently works with the New York Rangers. He has served with the NFL's Chicago Bears and Baltimore Ravens.
Dr. Winter also consults with the United States Women's soccer team.
His expertise in sleep as it relates to health and fitness led to Dr. Winter being named to the Men’s Health Magazine Health Advisory Board. He regularly appears on Fox News Channel as a sleep and neurology expert and regularly answers readers’ questions about sleep and contributes to its articles as well as articles in Women’s Health, Runner’s World and Details. He’s also written articles for other magazines including Triathlete and writes a blog entitled Sleeping Around for the Huffington Post.
Dr. Winter’s first book The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep Is Broken and How To Fix It will arrive on bookshelves April 4, 2017.
- Medical School: Emory University
- Internship: University of Virginia
- Residency: University of Virginia
- Fellowship: University of North Carolina
Clinical Areas of Interest of Specialty
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Parkinson's Disease
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Disorders
- American Board of Sleep Medicine (Sleep Medicine)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Sleep Medicine)
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (Neurology)
Recent Journal Articles or Conference Presentations
- Sleep Disturbances in Athletic Concussion Brain Injury. Jaffee MS, Winter WC, Jones CG, Ling G. 2015.
- Predicting Major League Baseball Player Career Longevity with Sleepiness Data. SLEEP 2013.
- Sleepiness as a Predictor of Draft Value in the National Football League. SLEEP 2012.
- Sleepiness as a Predictor of Player Longevity Within Major League Baseball. SLEEP 2012.
- Chronotype as a Predictor of Performance in Major League Baseball Batters. SLEEP 2011.
- Chronotype as a Predictor of Performance in Major League Baseball Pitchers. SLEEP 2010.