Last updated December 30, 2020
At Sentara, the safety of our team members and patients is our highest priority. However, we recognize that there are times when having a visitor or family member present is vital.
Due to an increase in COVID-19 cases in our community, Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital will modify visitation until we are able to safely implement new opportunities for limited visitation.
As a result of these new restrictions, no Visitors are allowed in the Hospital or in the Emergency Department.
- Maternity, Nursery and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) patients may have 1 visitor.
- Patients who are end of life may have 2 visitors (Non-COVID and COVID patients) who are immediate family members at the discretion of nursing leadership.
- Patients with disruptive behavior, altered mental status, handicaps, or developmental delays may have 1 visitor to stay with them throughout their stay.
- Minors under the age of 18 may have 1 visitor, either a parent or a guardian.
- Visitors allowed must stay in the patient's room the entire time of the visit and must wear a mask the entire time they are in the building. Once the visitor leaves the patient room, they must leave the hospital immediately and not congregate in public areas.
- Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital will continue to monitor the visitor policy and will adjust accordingly as appropriate
Visitor Safety Guidelines for Approved Non-End of Life and Non-COVID-19 Patients:
- Visitors 12 and under are prohibited from our hospitals.
- A visitor will only be allowed if they do not have symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath) or current positive or pending COVID status.
- Visitors should wash their hands or use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting patient rooms.
Please note that certain Sentara hospitals may have additional visitor guidelines, so we recommend checking with the facility before planning a visit.
Sentara is taking all necessary precautions to keep our hospitals safe and clean. You can expect all areas of our hospitals to be carefully cleaned and disinfected on an ongoing basis. All employees are also masked for your protection.