Sentara Hospice Volunteering
Sentara Hospice Services has many committed volunteer members from our communities in Hampton Roads and Western Tidewater, Greater Peninsula, and Harrisonburg. Our volunteers share their skills, compassion, and empathy with patients facing life-limiting illnesses as well as with their families. From non-medical direct patient care and family bereavement support to administrative and specialty support, volunteers are an integral part of the Hospice program.
Sentara Hospice volunteers are specially trained and are a part of the Hospice team. They are dedicated to creating a compassionate environment for patients and their families.
(All opportunities are not available in all locations.)
- Direct Patient Care Volunteer (non-medical) - Offer friendship, socialization, respite care, and other non-medical support.
- Bereavement Volunteer - Provide support and encouragement to the surviving family members by helping with correspondence and bereavement support groups.
- Sew, quilt, crochet, and knit lap blankets
- Special Events Volunteer - Annual Butterfly Release Picnic, Annual Memorial Service, Camp Lighthouse (Hampton Roads and Greater Peninsula only)
- Specialty Volunteer - Pet Therapy, Massage Therapy, Music Therapy, Vigil, etc.
- Administrative - Phones, copying, filing, and other special projects
- Veteran to Veteran
- Hospice House (Hampton Roads only)
If you are moved by the needs of others, complete the Hospice volunteer interest form or contact the Hospice Volunteer Coordinator in your area.
Hospice Volunteer Coordinator Contact Information