Copper Clinical Trial
Sentara Healthcare conducted the world's largest clinical trial of copper against hospital-acquired infections.
- Copper-infused linens produced by Richmond-based Cupron, Inc. and hard surfaces developed and manufactured by Norfolk-based EOS Surfaces, LLC were deployed in 124 patient rooms in a new patient tower while a 70s-era wing served as a control.
- Copper-infused hard surfaces and linens were found to contribute to an 83 percent reduction in C-difficile alone and a 78 percent overall reduction in multi-drug resistant organisms (MDROs).
Resources for Journalists:
- Bios and photos: Copper clinical trial experts
- Expert quotes: Sentara, EOS Surfaces, LLC and Cupron, Inc.
- ID Week Poster Presentation
- Infographic: High-touch, high-contamination C-Diff and MRSA (Cupron)
- Infographic: High-touch, high-contamination MRSA (EOS Surfaces)
- Why Copper? History of the trial at Sentara