After beginning his academic orthopedic career at UCSF-Stanford Healthcare, Dr. Gunther spent eight years in private practice in San Francisco and northern California. He is a recognized leader and innovator, having lectured all over the world and developed novel less invasive implants and patented methods for shoulder replacement surgery and clavicle fracture fixation. He is also a master’s instructor of advanced arthroscopic surgery technical skills at the AAOS/AANA educational center in Chicago.
Dr. Gunther is double fellowship-trained in shoulder/elbow surgery and sports medicine. His expertise is sports medicine injuries to the shoulder, elbow and knee as well as shoulder reconstruction for rotator cuff injuries and shoulder arthritis. His extensive research publications, presentations, book chapters and medical innovation have all focused in his area of expertise.
Dr. Gunther joined Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital in 2012. He is a member of the Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital Foundation and Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital Orthopedic Leadership Counsel. He was also placed in the lead role for the shoulder replacement physician team of the Sentara Orthopedic Task Force.
Dr. Gunther earned his medical degree at Dartmouth Medical School in Hanover, N.H. He completed internship and orthopedic residency at George Washington University. He performed a shoulder and elbow fellowship in Sydney, Australia and a sports medicine fellowship in Lake Tahoe, Calif. After completing his training, Dr. Gunther joined the full-time staff at University of California, San Francisco as chief of the shoulder and elbow service and director of the sports medicine fellowship.
He is certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and he has a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, American Shoulder and Elbow Society, Arthroscopy Association of North America and Twentieth Century Orthopedic Society. He continues to teach arthroscopy and arthroplasty techniques, publish scientific and clinical research and lecture at multiple national and international meetings.
Medical School: Dartmouth Medical School
Internship: George Washington University Hospital
Residency: George Washington University Hospital
Fellowship: Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney
Clinical Areas of Interest of Specialty
- Sports medicine, Advanced Arthroscopic surgery
- Shoulder reconstruction surgery, shoulder replacements
- Arthroscopic and open rotator cuff surgery
- Meniscal surgery, cartilage restoration, ACL surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Member, American Shoulder and Elbow Society
- Member, 20th Century Orthopedic Association
- Member, Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Member, Sierra Cascade Trauma Society
Certifications, Awards and Distinctions
- Honorary Member, Center for Patient Advocacy
- UCSF Teaching Scholar
- Our Health: “Best Bedside Manner Award”, Virginia 2015
Recent Journal Articles or Conference Presentations
- Gunther, SB. Shoulder Replacement with Inset Glenoid Implants: 6-10 year results. Twentieth Century Orthopedic Society Annual Meeting. Whistler, BC. Canada. August, 2016.
- Gunther, SB. Shoulder Replacement with Inset Glenoid Implants: 6-10 year results. American Shoulder and Elbow Society Annual Meeting. Boston, MA. October, 2016.
- Gunther, SB. A Current Approach to the Treatment of Shoulder Instability, Sierra Cascade Trauma Society, Deer Valley, Utah, February 6, 2014.
- Gunther, SB. Innovation, Entrepreneurism, and Translational Research in Shoulder Surgery, Sierra Cascade Trauma Society, Deer Valley, Utah, February 8, 2014.
- Gunther, SB. Modern Treatment of Proximal Humerus Fractures: a quantum leap forward, Sierra Cascade Trauma Society, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, January 29, 2015.
- Gunther SB, Graham J, Norris TR, Ries M, Pruitt L; Retrieved glenoid components: a classification system for surface damage analysis. Journal of Arthroplasty, 17(1): 95-100, 2002.
- Gunther, SB, Lynch, TL. Total shoulder replacement surgery with custom glenoid implants for severe bone deficiency. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2012;21(5): 675-684.
- Gunther, SB, Lynch, TL, O’Farrell, D, Calyore, C, Rodenhouse, A: Finite element analysis and physiologic testing of a novel, inset glenoid implantation technique. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2012:21(6): 795-803.
- Ansari, F, Lee, T, Malito, L,Martin, A, Gunther, SB, Harmsen, S, Norris, TR, Ries, M, Van Citters, D, Pruitt, L. Analysis of severely fractured glenoid components: clinical consequences of biomechanics, design, and materials selection on implant performance. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2016.
- Gunther, SB, Norris, TR. Shoulder Arthroplasty: Complications and Revision. Orthopedic Knowledge Update: Shoulder and Elbow, Edition 2, 2002.
- Gunther, SB. Orthopedics (Shoulder Section). Current Surgical Diagnosis & Treatment. Lange Medical Series. Edition 11, 2002.
- Norris, TR, Gunther, SB. Revision Shoulder Arthroplasty. Master’s Techniques in Orthopedic Surgery: The Shoulder, 2003.
- Gunther, SB, Basamania, C. Intramedullary Fixation of Clavicle Fractures. Operative Techniques in Orthopedic Surgery. 2nd Edition. 2016.