Sentara Healthcare Facts & Figures
128-Year Not-for-Profit Mission: We Improve Health Every Day
We are one healthcare system with more than 28,000 employees, all with the same commitment to quality care and creating an extraordinary healthcare experience.
From hybrid operating rooms to new models of care, we’ve always been ahead of the curve. For example, we:
- Performed Hampton Roads’ first heart and kidney transplants, in addition to the first open-heart surgery.
- Opened the first PACE (Program for All-Inclusive Care of the Elderly) site in Virginia.
- Were the first in the nation to pioneer eICU®, a remote monitoring system for intensive care.
- Were the first to leverage telehealth through Sentara Home Care Services to better monitor and manage patients remotely.
- Gained worldwide fame when America’s first in-vitro baby was born at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
And, Sentara is focused on delivering care better in the future by providing the right care, by the right caregiver at the right place, right time and right cost – all while delivering an extraordinary patient experience.
Helping to achieve this:
- The Sentara app provides convenient access to Sentara locations, health and wellness information and ways to connect with us.
- Sentara MyChart provides patients with secure online access to this information, enabling new ways to interact with our doctors and staff. And the Sentara MyChart app empowers patients to access their electronic medical information on the go anytime, anywhere via their smartphone.
- Our Sentara eCare Health Network® uses innovative and secure technology to link patient medical records between our hospitals, physicians and other healthcare sites.
- Sentara MDLIVE connects consumers to board-certified doctors by phone or secure online video 24/7/365.
- Select Sentara facilities and programs have also been recognized by U.S. News & World Report for the more than 15 years.
Advanced Imaging and Diagnostic Centers
Located across Hampton Roads, Northern Virginia, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, South Boston, Harrisonburg and Northeastern North Carolina
Four Medical Groups
More than 1,000 quality physicians and advanced practice clinicians
Home Care and Hospice
Available in Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina
Nursing and Assisted Living Centers
Assisted living centers located in Hampton Roads with nursing centers in Hampton Roads, North Carolina and South Boston
Optima Health Plan
Serving 450,000 members in Virginia and North Carolina
Outpatient Care Centers
Convenient locations across Hampton Roads, Northern Virginia, Charlottesville, Northeastern North Carolina, Fredericksburg, Harrisonburg and South Boston
Physical Therapy Centers
More than 30 locations across Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina
Sentara CarePlex Hospital and Orthopaedic Hospital at Sentara CarePlex
Address: 3000 Coliseum Drive, Hampton, VA 23666
Sentara Leigh Hospital
Address: 830 Kempsville Road, Norfolk, VA 23502
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital and Sentara Heart Hospital
Address: 600 Gresham Drive, Norfolk, VA 23507
Sentara Obici Hospital
Address: 2800 Godwin Blvd., Suffolk, VA
Sentara Princess Anne Hospital
Address: 2025 Glenn Mitchell Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital
Address: 1060 First Colonial Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
Address: 100 Sentara Circle, Williamsburg, VA 23188
Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
Address: 500 Martha Jefferson Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22911
Sentara RMH Medical Center
Address: 2010 Health Campus Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center
Address: 2300 Opitz Blvd., Woodbridge, VA 22191 Phone: 703-523-1000
Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital
Address: 2204 Wilborn Ave., South Boston, VA 24592
Sentara Albemarle Medical Center
Address: 1144 N Road St., Elizabeth City, NC 27909
2014 - Albemarle Health Partnership
2013 - Sentara Hospice House Opened
2013 - Halifax Regional Health System Merger
2011 - Opening of Sentara Princess Anne Hospital
2011 - Martha Jefferson Hospital Merger
2011 - RMH Healthcare Merger
2010 - Orthopaedic Hospital at Sentara CarePlex Opened
2009 - Potomac Hospital Merger
2006 - Sentara Heart Hospital Opened
2006 - Obici Hospital Merger
2002 - Williamsburg Community Hospital Merger
1998 - Virginia Beach General Hospital Merger
1996 - Launched First Sentara PACE (Program for All-Inclusive Care of the Elderly) Location
1995 - Sentara Medical Group Formed
1991 - Bayside Hospital Merger
1988 - Hampton General Hospital Merger
1984 - Optima Health Plan Started
1983 - Life Care Division Developed
1982 - Home Care Formed
1972 - State’s First Merger of Two Non-Profit Hospitals: Norfolk General & Leigh Memorial
1892 - Introduced School of Nursing
1888 - Opened Retreat for the Sick – 25 Beds Norfolk