Adult Volunteer Program
The adult volunteer program is the foundation of Sentara Leigh Hospital Volunteer Services. Adult volunteers of all ages are an integral part of the hospital environment. From nursing units, to the information desk, adult volunteers contribute thousands of hours each year to support the mission of the hospital to improve health every day.
Thank you for your interest in being an adult volunteer at Sentara Leigh Hospital. Volunteer opportunities are available in clinical and non-clinical settings at both onsite and offsite hospital locations.
Adult volunteers can help in various capacities including:
- Information desk
- Surgery waiting room
- Nursing units
- Breast center
- Surgery center (pre- and post-recovery)
Becoming a Volunteer
Process and Requirements
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with Sentara Leigh Hospital, you must complete an application along with a variety of requirements. Please contact the Volunteer Office at 757-261-8085 to receive the most up to date information about our adult volunteer program.
All of the following are requirements that apply to most adult volunteers. If you do not feel that you are able to meet each and every one of these requirements, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator prior to applying. We hope and prefer that interested individuals can commit to one year or 100 hours of volunteering if at all possible.
- Complete an adult volunteer application
- In-person interview with volunteer coordinator
- Complete required orientation education
- Complete occupational health requirements
- Annual flu shot performed by Sentara Occupational Health Department*
- Submit to a criminal background check**
- Purchase a volunteer uniform (cost $15 each)
- Annual training (e.g. confidentiality agreement)
- Agree to volunteer at least 4 ½ hours, one day per week on a scheduled basis.
*All required health tests and background check are free-of-charge to the prospective volunteer.
**All volunteers must pass a universal background screening that provides a criminal background on the prospective volunteer. There is not cost to the volunteer.
Adult volunteers have several choices for uniforms. Uniforms cost $15 each and must be paid for prior to becoming an active volunteer.
Sentara Leigh Hospital adult volunteers must adhere to a dress code that will allow you to be safe and comfortable while volunteering. We expect a neat, clean and professional appearance to be maintained at all times.
- Name badge should be worn in plain view, above the waist, on the right lapel.
- Uniforms must be kept clean and freshly pressed.
- Chewing gum is not allowed.
- Shoes must be kept clean.
- Hair should be kept be neat, clean, no elaborate hairstyles, and of a natural color (no pink, blue, red, purple, etc.). Long hair should be pulled back away from the face. No bows or scented hairspray.
- Fingernails should be an appropriate length and color. If working with patients, acrylic nails are not allowed.
- Fragrances (cologne, body spray, and perfume) are not acceptable as they may bother patients and visitors.
- Jewelry: Earrings should be limited to earlobe-size only, with no more than two ear piercings and no hoops larger than the size of a dime. Rings should be no more than three total with no bangle bracelets. No body piercing jewelry, except earlobes to be visible at any time.
- Tattoos cannot be visible and should be covered by clothing.