The summer 2017 Junior Volunteer Program will soon open for registration! The junior volunteer program will run from June 26 - Aug 25.
Sentara recognizes the importance of volunteering for the professional and social development of youth. We believe the time, dedication, and collaboration with our junior volunteers provides teens with invaluable experience and leadership skills. Detailed information is highlighted in the new junior volunteer packet.
Who can participate in the junior volunteer program at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital?
Junior volunteers are between 14-18 years old and enrolled in high school. All applicants must be at least 14 years old and rising into the ninth grade to be eligible for the program.
Returning Junior Volunteers
If you completed the 2016 Junior Volunteer Program and wish to volunteer with us this summer, please complete and submit the returning junior volunteer packet by Tuesday, April 4, 2017. You do not need to complete another application.
What is required?
- The first step is to complete a junior volunteer application. All applications must be received by Tuesday, April 4.
- The volunteer office will confirm receipt of all applications by April 7th via email or phone. Selected applicants for the program will be contacted for an interview, which will take place on either April 12, 13, 14 or 15.
- All volunteers accepted into the program will be provided more information regarding occupational health requirements, online education, and orientation.
- Bring to the interview a copy of most recent grades and immunization records.
- This is a competitive program. Please make sure your contact information is accurate and your application is complete.
Commitment, Assignments, and Service
The junior volunteer program will run from June 26 - Aug. 25. Volunteers are guaranteed one scheduled four- or eight-hour shift per week. The volunteer is committed to work his or her scheduled shift for at least seven of the nine weeks. Junior volunteers provide an invaluable service to the hospital while gaining experience and responsibility in a professional setting. Junior volunteers are placed in a variety of areas throughout the hospital, including: lobbies, nursing units, surgery departments, gift shop, Retreat Café, Pharmacy, offices, and outpatient areas.
Junior volunteer will be assigned one shift a week. The shifts are only available from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. or 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on weekdays.
Rewards of Volunteerism
- Personal development
- Contributing to the community
- Learning to work with peers and adults
- Gain experience in health care
- Earning volunteer hours necessary for colleges and scholarships