We invite you to become part of our Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital volunteer team and to explore the many volunteer opportunities we offer.
Our diverse group of volunteers share their skills and expertise in more than 80 different areas in the hospital by assisting team members, patients and visitors. Whether they are in the gift shop, surgical waiting areas, information desks, golf cart, pet therapy program or patient floors, our volunteers serve with the common mission and vision to improve health every day, and to become the healthcare providers of choice of the communities we serve.
Currently, more than 300 dedicated and reliable volunteers give their time and expertise to meet the needs of our patients. In addition to the clerical and clinical positions, volunteers at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital also have the opportunity to interact with our patients through our programs such as patient advocacy, volunteer chaplaincy, pet therapy, Patient & Family Advisory Council and many others.
Our adult volunteers, men and women over the age of 18, are required to serve at least one 4 to 4.5-hour shift per week. Opportunities are also available for junior volunteers ages 14-17, wishing to work during the summer months and through the school year after attending an initial summer program. Our volunteers are part of a team dedicated to creating a healing and compassionate environment for patients, visitors and guests.
- Opportunity to serve others
- Free health screenings and vaccines
- Discount on non-prescription over-the-counter drugs available in the hospital pharmacies
- WorkPerks discount (discounts on various local business, i.e., movie tickets, park tickets, etc.)
- One meal ticket per shift
- Designated parking
- Awards and recognition programs
- Special events
- Scholarship opportunities for students entering health careers
- Information Desk
- Nursing Units
- Gift Shop
- Surgical Waiting Area
- Emergency Department Greeter Program
- Pet Therapy Program
- Mended Hearts Program
- Auxiliary Program
- Patient & Family Advisory Council (PFAC)
To volunteer, contact the volunteer coordinator at 757-395-8014.