Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital’s inpatient behavioral health center is there for patients and families that feel a situation is beyond what can be managed in an outpatient setting or a primary care office.
With the ability to serve up to 24 patients, we are here for adult behavioral health issues, like depression and personality disorders, and for those struggling with thoughts of suicide. We are licensed to provide medical detox. We are also a resource for geriatric behavioral health issues, like depression and when there has been a noted decline in cognitive function.
Some common conditions we provide support and treatment for include:
- Bipolar disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Postpartum depression
- Substance abuse disorders
We are that next level of care and intervention that’s designed to help evaluate, diagnose, stabilize and connect you to other services and specialists in the community.
Our Patient’s Role in Care
Whatever the condition and whichever therapies employed, our commitment is to help ensure our patients are informed and involved to the extent possible in developing and implementing their care plan. We believe in helping to empower our patients and better preparing them to be active participants in their recovery.
When you’re at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital, you’re in good hands. Our psychiatrist-led team of registered nurses, social workers, recreational therapists, and other health care professionals are here to help and serve 24 hours a days, 7 days a week.
Based on a patient’s individual needs and circumstances, we have 24 beds available – 16 private and 8 semi-private – all designed with safety as well as comfort in mind.
Our aim is to provide a therapeutic, nurturing environment that provides a safe place to recover and grow stronger. To help, we have brought as many comforts of home as possible to our care environment so the focus can be on health and healing.
- Holistic approach: In addition to individual therapy, we offer group and cognitive behavioral therapy. The exact care plan we follow is personalized to the needs of each individual as part of our initial assessment and we take care to ensure the care team and the patient and their family
- Family support: We have open visitation during set hours of the day for friends and family. Exceptions and special accommodations can be arranged to make visitation possible in all circumstances.
- Healing environment: We will offer a welcoming, comfortable, hotel-like environment where patients can spend several days focusing on their recovery.
In addition to providing care at the center, our goal is also to help ensure our patients and their families get to the right next step, helping to coordinate the hand-off so the transition doesn’t add stress to an already challenging situation. Whether it’s finding a primary care physician, connecting with other area specialists, identifying a need for home care services or even assisted living, our team is here to help.
If you have a behavioral health issue and you need help, we’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can go at any time of day to the emergency room to seek out our department’s services. We also encourage you to speak to your local primary care physician. Often times, they know you and what you’re dealing with best.
Please call 757-395-1999757-395-1999 for additional information.