Volunteer Coordinator: 757-984-7195
Our diverse group of volunteers share their skills and expertise in many different areas in the hospital by assisting patients, visitors and staff.
We invite you to share your skills and talents throughout the hospital in many different areas. Currently, we have more than 500 dedicated volunteers and our team is comprised of adults, college students and junior volunteers (must have completed 8th grade and be at least 14 years of age). Volunteer opportunities are available in clinical and non-clinical settings.
Our adult volunteers are offered flexible schedules to accommodate their lifestyles, and are required to serve at least one 3- to 4-hour shift per week. The college volunteer program is structured on a semester basis. Qualifying pre-med college students are eligible to apply to work as a scribe in the emergency room after providing a minimum of 25 volunteer hours to the medical center.
The junior volunteer program is structured as a 2-week summer camp program. Four 2-week sessions are available each summer. Each session offers 40 hours of volunteer service to the hospital. All junior volunteers must complete at least one of the four 2-week sessions to qualify for volunteering during the school year. Junior Volunteer Applications are available at the volunteer office, at all local high schools and middle schools on February 15 each year. They are due April 1 each year.
- Auxiliary - includes functions, fundraisers, Pineapple Gift Shop, vendor sales
- Certified pet therapy program
- Golf cart shuttle
- Nursing units
- P.A.L. (Patient Assistant Liaison) - rounding on patients
- Patient and Family Advisory Council(PFAC)
- Pharmacy - Both inpatient and outpatient)
- Reception Desks - Includes heart and vascular, concierge (Information), emergency department, guest services, surgery waiting area, volunteer services office, transport (internal)
- Awards and recognition programs: Annual auxiliary appreciation, holiday celebration of our Volunteers, National Volunteer Week/gift
- Designated parking
- Discount on non-prescription over-the-counter drugs available in the hospital pharmacies
- Free TB screenings
- Free flu vaccines
- One meal ticket per 4-hour shift
- Opportunity to serve others
- Resume recommendations
- Scholarship opportunities for high school students entering health careers
- Sentara WorkPerks (discounts on various local business, i.e., movie tickets, park tickets, etc.)