Structural Heart Disease
Structural heart disease refers to congenital heart defects, which are heart defects a patient is born with. It can also refer to problems with the heart valves and vessels.
Common Structural Heart Conditions
- Atrial septal defect (ASD), a hole in the wall separating the top two chambers of the heart
- Patent foramen ovale, a flap-like hole in the wall separating the top two chambers
- Coarctation of the aorta, a narrowing of the vessel in the upper chest
- Heart valve disease, a disorder of the valves, or flaps, that allow blood to flow to and from your heart.
We use advanced cardiac imaging and diagnostic tests to provide you with an accurate diagnosis. Then, we tailor a treatment plan specifically for you.
Structural Heart Disease Symptoms
The type of symptoms you experience depend on what type of structural heart condition you have. Common symptoms include:
- Transient ischemic attack, or TIA, a mini-stroke
- Heart palpitations (fast heart rate)
- Difficulty exercising
- Blood pressure that is higher in the arms and head and lower in the legs
- Coronary artery disease
- Leg cramping
- Kidney dysfunction
Treatment Options for Structural Heart Disease
Once we arrive at a precise diagnosis of your condition, we will discuss treatment options with you. In many cases, we can treat you using a minimally invasive procedure, meaning less scarring and a shorter recovery. Procedures include heart valve surgery and valve repair or replacement.
Sentara Heart physicians offer advanced, minimally invasive treatments for these conditions at the Sentara Heart Valve and Structural Disease Center.
TAVR Procedure at Sentara Heart
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is a procedure to treat heart valve disease. If you are not a candidate for open heart valve replacement surgery, we may recommend a TAVR procedure instead. The TAVR procedure allows our heart team to replace a diseased aortic heart valve without open heart surgery. Learn more about transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) at Sentara Heart.