The Ride-Along Program is designed to promote the safety of Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance Service by the active involvement of referring agencies and facilities who utilize our service to maintain our accident-free mission status. It's an opportunity to educate referring agencies and facilities about the Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance program and integrate them into our system. In addition, the program hopes to increase the awareness to referring agencies and facilities of the appropriate utilization of air medical transport for the critically ill or injured person requiring our service.
About the Program
The Ride-Along Program participant will fly as an observer, assisting with simple tasks through the direction of the flight crew. The goal of this program is for you to observe and learn the interaction of the flight crew members with other agencies or facilities, understand the flight crew capabilities, see how the aircraft is configured along with its capabilities, and learn general flight safety associated with air medical transport.
Ride Along Criteria
- Weight limit: 190 pounds fully clothed in flight suit, shoes or boots, etc.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Attending physician with privileges at a hospital within Nightingale's regional area
- Specialties related to: trauma, emergency medicine, cardiac, pediatric, intensivist, neurosurgery, neonatology, critical care, vascular and all surgical services, OB and orthopedics involved in trauma
- EVMS affiliation in the same specialty areas
- Portsmouth Naval residents in emergency medicine, trauma or surgical rotations completed at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
Currently working in intensive care, critical care area or emergency department at a hospital in Nightingale's regional area
- Will be determined on a case-by-case basis decision with agencies that frequently interact with Nightingale
- Member of a licensed Emergency Medical Service within Nightingale's primary scene response area as identified by the Nightingale Ride-Along Committee
- One year of active affiliation with that agency and in good standing