Sentara Acute Care for Elders Unit
The dedicated Sentara nursing staff has been specially trained and educated to care for the elderly. Specialized training includes frequent toileting, mobility measures, monitoring for delirium and other necessary geriatric measures. They are focused on total specialized care for seniors from the time of admission to discharge.
What is an ACE unit?
An Acute Care for Elders (ACE) unit located at Sentara CarePlex Hospital is designed for the older adult population with an interdisciplinary focus on outcomes to include:
- Medication appropriateness and safety
- Preventing functional decline
- Falls and safety awareness
- Skin integrity
- Pain control and management
- Improvement of functional outcomes
The ACE unit’s purpose is to create a prepared environment to foster patient self-care while promoting patient independence.
The core of specialists includes:
- Certified physicians including director of geriatrics and gerontology
- Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE) certified staff
- Licensed physical therapist, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists
Skilled proactive nursing care performed by:
- Registered nurses
- Licensed practical nurses
- Nursing care partners
- Supportive care performed by administrative associates
Team rounds and medical care review will be conducted hourly for each individual patient.
Admission is typically based on medical admissions of patients 70 years and older who are living at home or in an assisted living environment prior to hospitalization. Patients who have been discharged from Sentara CarePlex Hospital to a skilled nursing facility within the previous 30-90 days can be admitted to this unit.