If you are recovering from surgery, injury or illness, strengthening in the pool may help you feel better and achieve maximum mobility and function. Patients with these conditions can benefit from aquatic therapy:
- Arthritis, tendonitis and bursitis
- Weakness and decreased endurance
- Degenerative joint disease
- Total hip or knee replacement
- Chronic pain syndrome
- Pre-surgery or post-surgery
- Neurological disorders
- Orthopedic injuries
Evaluations by experienced therapists include assessments of:
- Range of motion assessment
- Functional abilities
- Strength and endurance
Benefits and outcomes
- Water’s buoyancy decreases pressure on joints, increasing range of motion and flexibility while reducing pain associated with movement.
- Because water is denser than air, it provides a natural resistance, helping to build muscle strength.
- Exercising in water produces higher aerobic benefits at lower levels of exertion.
Please bring your referring physician’s prescription to your first appointment.