Who is a Candidate?
Body Mass Index
Compare your Body Mass Index (BMI) to this table. If you have a BMI of 35 or greater, you may be eligible for weight loss surgery.
Below 18.5 : Underweight
18.5 - 24.9 : Normal
25 - 29.9 : Overweight
30 and above : Obese
Eligibility for surgery has been determined by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The NIH recognizes obesity as a disease and states that permanent weight loss through diet is almost impossible for moderately and severely obese individuals. Specifically, they acknowledge that weight loss surgery has the best success rate.
You are eligible for surgery if you have:
- a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or higher
- a BMI of at least 35 and are diagnosed with at least one or more serious obesity related conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or sleep apnea
Other important eligibility requirements include:
- No poorly controlled psychological conditions
- No drug or alcohol dependence
- No smoking for gastric bypass and highly recommended for band
- A personal, lifelong commitment to follow the nutritional, exercise, vitamin/supplement and laboratory protocols indicated by our program