In order to provide a safe and secure environment for all Sentara personnel, patients and visitors, weapons of any kind are strictly forbidden from all Sentara facilities and on all Sentara owned or leased property. (The only exception is for authorized law enforcement officers.)
Examples of weapons include, but are not limited to:
- Edged weapons (Swords, Knives)
- Generally pocket knives and multi-tools are not considered weapons; however, extreme caution should be taken in their presence. Any edged weapon with a blade length of over 3 inches will be considered a weapon and will be stored in the safe.
- Striking implements (Batons, Clubs)
- Missile throwing objects (slingshots, bow/arrows)
- Incendiary devices
- Any other object deemed to be inherently dangerous to Sentara patients, staff, visitors, contractors, or vendors.