Elwood "Bernie" Boone, III
Elwood "Bernie" Boone, III is the President of Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital, 273-bed acute care facility.
Boone began his tenure with Hospital Corporation of America in 1996 and most recently served as the Chief Executive Officer for HCA Metropolitan Methodist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas. In this position, his duties included management responsibility for $217 million in net revenue and 1,100 employees for a 331-bed HCA Level E hospital. Boone also led a master facility planning process and a successful capital funding request that resulted in economic incentives of $44.6 million and $2.2 million from the city of San Antonio for an expansion project on the hospital campus. He also led the successful consolidation of behavioral health services with Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital, which took place in 2010.
Current Professional Affiliations
- American College of Healthcare Executives (Fellow)
- Board Certified in Healthcare Management
- National Association of Health Services Executives (Member)
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) – M.H.S.A.
- Morehouse College (Atlanta, GA) – BS in Psychology