Volunteering at Sentara RMH
Sentara RMH Volunteers provide an extra layer of comfort and support to Sentara RMH patients, visitors and staff. Volunteers include working and retired men and women, college students and teenagers (age 15 and up).
Volunteers serve in a variety of areas throughout the hospital. They can choose the amount of time they give—whether it's a few hours a week or a few days a month. Some of the ways in which volunteers serve include:
- Greeting and providing information to patients and visitors
- Escorting patients for tests or medical procedures
- Assisting customers in Sentara RMH Gifts & Floral
- Delivering newspapers, magazines, flowers and mail to patients
- Assisting patients and visitors in the Emergency Department, Hahn Cancer Center, Surgical Services, Heart and Vascular Center and other care areas
- Helping with special projects
- Visiting as part of a Therapy Pet team (must have appropriate certification)
Service volunteers are automatically members of the Sentara RMH Volunteer Auxiliary. For more information on service options, or to request an application, contact Sentara RMH Volunteer Services at 540-689-6400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about becoming a member of our Patient and Family Advisory Council.
Sentara RMH Volunteer Auxiliary
The RMH Auxiliary was created in 1911, when community members from the Harrisonburg-Rockingham County area came together to encourage community support and gather financial resources to help make Rockingham Memorial Hospital (now Sentara RMH Medical Center) a reality. Auxiliary members provided hands-on help as well as fundraising to help pay for equipment and furnishings for the community’s first hospital.
Today, the Sentara RMH Volunteer Auxiliary (Sentara RMHVA) continues to provide fundraising support, and all service volunteers 18 years or older are members.
Sentara RMHVA membership is open to those interested in:
- Supporting the mission of the Sentara RMHVA and the hospital
- Providing volunteer service to those served by Sentara RMH
- Supporting the fundraising events and projects of the Sentara RMHVA
The Sentara RMHVA provides:
- Comfort Toys, which are given to pediatric patients to help comfort them during a test, treatment or surgical procedure
- Financial support—each year, the Sentara RMHVA makes a financial gift to the hospital through the RMH Foundation. These gifts are used to purchase medical equipment and fill other special needs of the hospital.
Sentara RMH Volunteer Auxiliary Membership Options
There are no annual dues for service volunteers. Non-service members support the mission and goals of the Sentara RMHVA, but do not provide volunteer service at Sentara RMH. For non-service members, dues are $20 a year. For more information, call Sentara RMH Volunteer Services at 540-689-6400.