The Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) at Sentara RMH Medical Center offers individual, group, and family therapy, stress management and education in an outpatient treatment setting. The program offers the structure of a psychiatric program while allowing patients to go home in the evening to remain connected with their family, friends and other support systems. PHP services are provided for up to six hours per day, five days per week. Treatment in the PHP can shorten a hospital stay or provide the intervention necessary to avoid hospitalization.
Who Can Take Part?
The Partial Hospitalization Program is for adults 18 and older –
- Experiencing depression, anxiety or stress
- Experiencing prolonged grief caused by significant loss or change
- Experiencing acute psychiatric symptoms which, if left untreated, could require inpatient care
- Preparing for discharge from an inpatient setting, but still in need of daily monitoring or continued therapeutic intervention
- Experiencing any psychiatric disorder or cognitive impairment
- The program also provides support and education to families of individuals
A referral is required to be admitted to the program. Referrals are accepted from hospitals, physicians, the patient’s family, friends, employee assistance programs, mental health providers and other healthcare providers. Self-referrals are also accepted.
Length of Program
The length of time participants spend in the program is decided by each patient, the physician and staff.
To offer our clients the best care possible, our program is staffed by general health and mental health professionals with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. Staff members include:
- Licensed professional counselors
- Clinical nurse specialist
- Registered dietitian
- Occupational therapist
- Art/movement therapist
Most insurance companies, including Medicare, assist with payment for partial hospitalization. The program also holds contracts with many managed-care organizations. To inquire about cost, learn more about PHP or schedule an appointment, please call 540-564-5100540-564-5100.