About Sports Medicine
Ortho Team Involved with Local Athletics
Sports medicine refers to the branch of medicine that deals with illnesses or injuries resulting from participation in sports, athletic activities or any type of exercise. Knee, leg, back, shoulder and hand injuries, as well as joint pain and stiffness are a few of the common disorders treated. Whether you are a competitive athlete, a weekend warrior or a member of the local walking club, you may benefit from sports medicine services offered at Sentara.
What is Sports Medicine? It Depends!
For the High School Athlete:
- Reaching athletic potential
- Preventing injury
- Fast return to a sport after an injury
- Scholarship potential
For the Mature Athlete:
- Staying active in a desired sport
- Maintaining an active lifestyle
- Avoiding injury
- Balancing sports level goals with limitations
- Balancing sports with overall wellness
At Sentara, we customize a sports medicine program specific to every athlete at any level to align with each athlete's personal goals.