Speech pathologists are licensed professionals with a Certificate of Clinical Competency from the American Speech and Hearing Association. Our specialists are certified speech pathologists with a Masters or Doctorate Degree.
Speech pathologists are trained to provide diagnostic and rehabilitative services for a wide array of communicative, cognitive, voice and swallow function disorders. Stroke, head injury, brain tumor, neurological diseases such as Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis, head/neck cancer and dementia can result in difficulty with the vital daily activities of communication and swallowing. Speech pathologists are dedicated to assist patients in returning to the highest possible level, so that they can communicate effectively with others, and enjoy safe and adequate nutrition.
We offer highly skilled speech pathologists who may specialize in the following areas:
Dysphagia (Disorder of swallowing)
• Modified barium swallow assessment
• FEES (Fiberoptic Endoscopy Assessment)
• Training for swallow strengthening exercise and diet management
• Neuromuscular electrical stimulation (Vital Stim)
• Deep Pharyngeal Neuromuscular Stimulation (DPNS)
Speech and Language Disorders (From stroke, neurologic disease, brain injury)
• Aphasia assessment
• Aphasia treatment - Speech and language retraining
• Apraxia assessment and treatment
• Dysarthria training to maximize speech intelligibility
• Alaryngeal speech training for laryngectomy with esophageal speech or electrolarynx
• Lee Silverman Voice Therapy (LSVT) for Parkinson's disease
Vocal Nodules - Voice hygiene and vocal exercise training
• Muscle tension dysphonia - Vocal function exercise training
• Vocal cord dysfunction
• Tracheoesophogeal prosthesis (TEP) training for laryngectomy
Traumatic brain injury retraining for attention, memory, organization, executive functions
• Right hemispheric stroke
Sentara RMH offers adult evaluation and treatment of speech, language, cognitive and swallowing disorders in the outpatient clinic.