What is Thoracic Surgery?
Thoracic surgery is the practice of medicine directed toward the surgical treatment of diseases of the chest, including the following:
- Lung cancer
- Benign and infectious problems of the lung or pleura
- Tracheal/bronchial tumors
- Chest wall growths including, but not limited to, mesothelioma
- Lymph node diagnosis in conditions such as sarcoid
- Interstitial lung disease
- Esophageal swallowing problems
- Esophageal cancer
- Gastroesophageal reflux
The word thoracic is the adjective form of the noun "thorax," which refers to the area of the human body located between the neck and abdomen.