Who is a Candidate?
If you've been thinking about bariatric (weight loss) surgery as a tool in losing your excess weight and maintaining your ongoing health goals, you can use the guideline and qualifications below to determine if either the LAP-BAND® System or gastric sleeve procedure is the right option for you.
You may qualify for weight loss surgery if:
- You are at least 18 years old
- You are at least 100 pounds overweight or:
- Lap-Band: your BMI is 40 or higher (or at least 30 if you have one or more comorbidities - weight-related health conditions - such as type 2 diabetes)
- Gastric Sleeve: your BMI is 40 or higher (or at least 35 if you have one or more comorbidities - weight-related health conditions - such as type 2 diabetes)
- You have been overweight for more than five years
- Your serious weight-loss attempts have had only short-term success
- You are not suffering from any other disease that may have caused your excess weight
- You are prepared to make healthy changes in your eating habits and lifestyle
Keep in mind that only a qualified physician/surgeon can properly evaluate all the factors in your case.