Hospital Billing Process
Review the steps below. Contact customer service if you have any questions.
The patient receives services at one of our hospitals.
- Sentara CarePlex Hospital
- Sentara Leigh Hospital
- Sentara Obici Hospital
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
- Sentara Princess Anne Hospital
- Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
- Sentara RMH Medical Center
- Martha Jefferson Hospital
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center
The patient receives an initial statement in the mail that includes visit specific information (see below).
- Charges for treatment and/or testing (itemized statement available upon request)
- Insurance information, if applicable
- A contact number for the hospital
- Dates of treatment
Our patient accounting department begins the billing and collection processes based on insurance information provided at the time of registration.
You will receive from your insurance carrier a form entitled “Explanation of Benefits,” indicating the portion of the bill that your insurance company has paid. Once the hospital processes the insurance payment, we will send you an updated bill showing the balance you still owe.
Patients may receive collection notices or statements from our internal and external collection sources. If a patient requires financial assistance, there are financial assistance programs available for those who meet eligibility requirements.