March 27, 2018
By: Rita P. Smith, MS, RD, CDE, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- 1 bunch asparagus, 2-inches trimmed from the end of each spear
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup tri-color quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 oz. crumbled low-fat goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place asparagus spears in single layer on baking pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool slightly and then cut into ½ -inch slices. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan add quinoa and water. Bring water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Once quinoa is done, fluff with a fork.
- Place quinoa to serving bowl along with asparagus pieces, pecans, goat cheese, red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder and salt to season. Toss to combine.