Asparagus-Wheat Berry Salad
- ½ cup dried wheat berries
- 3 cups water
- 6 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1½ teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ cup reduced-fat blue cheese, crumbled
- Bring wheat berries and water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 50 minutes or until tender.
- Add asparagus to wheat berries in saucepan, cover and cook 2-3 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Drain wheat berry mixture in a fine-mesh strainer and run under cold water to cool quickly. Shake off excess liquid and place in medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cheese. Toss gently, yet thoroughly until well blended. Add cheese and toss gently. Makes 5 servings.