Barley and Vegetable Risotto
April 17, 2018
By: Rita P. Smith, MS, RD, CDE, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- 4½ cups no-salt vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup thinly-sliced mushrooms
- ¾ cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring broth to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low to keep broth hot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender. Increase heat to medium high. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes stirring frequently or until mushrooms begin to brown the liquid evaporates.
- Add barley; cook for 1 minute. Add ¼ cup hot broth; cook and stir about 2 minutes or until almost all broth is absorbed. Add remaining broth, ¼ cup at a time, stirring constantly until broth is almost absorbed before adding the next.
- After 20 minutes of cooking, stir in peppers. Stir in spinach; cook 1 minute or until just wilted. Stir in cheese and black peppers.