- 2 cups sodium-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- ½ teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Optional: 1 fresh or frozen bone-in 1½ lb. turkey breast, without skin
Directions for a Slow Cooker
- Combine broth, barley, onion cranberries, almonds, sage and garlic-pepper seasoning in slow cooker. Cook on Low for 3-4 hours. Stir in the parsley before serving. Makes 6 servings.
- Optional: Brown a 1½ pound turkey breast in a nonstick skillet in small amount vegetable oil. Add to the slow cooker, and cook with the barley stuffing. The turkey should reach an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- Transfer turkey to cutting board; cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving.