Black Bean Skillet with Butternut Squash
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1½ cups water, divided
- ¾ cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1(15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 medium butternut squash, quartered, seeded, and skin pierced several times with fork
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 2 teaspoons canola oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt to coat skillet evenly. Cook onions 4 minutes or until edges brown. Stir frequently.
- Add 1 cup water, rice, beans, tomatoes and turmeric. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cover tightly. Simmer 12 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, place squash and remaining ¼ cup water in a microwave-safe shallow pan, cover tightly and microwave on HIGH 10 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain.
- To serve, place a squash quarter on each of four dinner plates, and spoon equal amounts of bean mixture on each squash wedge. Top with sour cream and cilantro. Makes 4 servings.