Boston Baked Beans
- 1½ cups dried navy beans, rinsed and drained; pick over to remove small stones
- Salt to taste
- 2 slices reduced-sodium turkey bacon, cut crosswise in half
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring beans and water to cover by 2 inches to a boil in large saucepan; cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans; rinse with cold water. Return to saucepan.
- Pour fresh water over beans to cover by 2 inches. Add pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until beans are tender, about 1½ hours, adding hot water if necessary to keep beans covered. Drain beans, reserving 1½ cups cooking liquid. Transfer beans and liquid to 2-quart casserole.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Coat medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Set over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crisp. Sauté onion in pan drippings until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to casserole.
- Stir brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, dry mustard, pepper and half of bacon into beans. Sprinkle remaining bacon on top. Cover and bake until hot and bubbling, about 30 minutes, stirring once.
Makes 8 servings.