Cheddar Cheese and Broccoli Salad
- 1 lb. broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1½ cups shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Cut off 12 small broccoli florets. Coarsely chop remaining broccoli to get 2 cups. Blanch the chopped broccoli and broccoli florets over boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion and celery until soft, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture simmers and thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cheddar cheese, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until cheese melts and soup is heated through, about 3 minutes. Garnish each serving with broccoli florets.
Makes 6 servings.