- 16 sundried tomato halves
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 1/3 cup capers, drained
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 round loaf Tuscan-style whole-grain bread, halved, creating 2 rounds
- 6 thin slices 2% Swiss cheese
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 4 cups loosely packed spring greens
- Place tomatoes in small bowl, cover with boiling water and let stand 5 minutes to soften. Place tomatoes, ½ cup tomato water and remaining spread ingredients in blender; puree until smooth.
- Spread half of tomato mixture evenly over bottom half of bread loaf and top with filling ingredients in the order listed, starting with cheese. Spread the remaining tomato mixture on top half of bread loaf and place, spread side down, on top of lettuce. Press down firmly and cut into 8 wedges. Makes 8 servings.