- 1 cup chopped dates
- ½ cup water
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup butter-canola oil blend or no-trans-fat spread
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- ½ cup walnut pieces, chopped
- Soak dates in small bowl at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat cookie sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine flour and baking powder in medium bowl with a whisk.
- Beat butter blend in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in brown sugar; increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and rum extract until fluffy.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture alternately with date mixture, mixing just until combined after each addition. Stir in walnuts until blended.
- Drop level tablespoonfuls of dough 1½ inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 14 minutes or until just set. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container. Makes 2 dozen cookies.