- 1 (6-ounce) no-salt-added tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine + ½ cup water (or 1 cup water)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1½ lb. ground turkey breast
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (from 2 slices whole wheat bread)
- ½ cup shredded zucchini
- ¼ cup finely minced onion
- ¼ cup cholesterol-free egg substitutes or 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine tomato paste, wine, water, garlic, basil and oregano in small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In large bowl combine turkey, bread crumbs, zucchini, onion, egg substitute and ½ cup tomato mixture. Mix well. Shape into loaf; place into ungreased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake 45 minutes.
- Discard any drippings. Pour ½ cup remaining tomato over top of the loaf. Bake an additional 15 minutes. Place on serving platter. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 8 servings.