Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup egg substitute or 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In small bowl, using a fork, stir together buttermilk, applesauce, egg substitute, oil and vanilla. Pour into the flour mixture. Using the fork, stir until the flour mixture is just moistened but no flour is visible. Don’t overmix. The batter will still be lumpy.
- Gently fold in the blueberries. Spoon the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.