Lemon-Raspberry French Toast Bake
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf whole wheat French bread, cut into 22 1-inch slices
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Grated peel and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 cups skim milk
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- Spray 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange bread in single layers in baking dish.
- In medium bowl whisk together eggs, egg whites, lemon peel and juice until well blended. Whisk in milk, brown sugar and nutmeg until smooth.
- Pour egg batter evenly bread slices. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, let the dish stand at room temperature before baking.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until the top begins to brown. Top evenly with fresh raspberries. Bake 10-12 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Makes 12 servings.